March 09, 2006

My first (and probably last) artistic inspiration

The idea:

Create an important painting (preferably beautiful) in a traditional, realistic style. Make it as non-abstract as possible. Cover the canvas in monochrome, thus completely obscuring what's been done. Display in gallery. Have others praise brilliance.

Thoughts:

Has no one done this? My blog partner as art history expert shall let me know. I'm obviously aware of others who've worked in monochrome, but has anyone used monochrome in this way before? Perhaps performance art has included destruction of art itself?

Existential questions I think my painting adresses:

Does the work that I've covered up no longer exist? Can art that is not seen still be beautiful? What is the relation between the viewer and the work of art? Do I even need to paint the original realistic scene? Is it enough to just say I've done it, and let those looking at my blank canvas imagine how beautiful it is? Are there any patrons out there who would give me a large cash advance to bring this idea to fruition?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home