March 11, 2006

Eleven Ways to Say Snow

Hark back, if you will dear reader, to those glorious days spent in the Spartan one-room school house of our now-distant youth. Troll long enough, and you will no doubt stumble across a profound remembrance set in or around a 2nd grade Social Studies class. Yes, I am referring to that piece of ubiquitous jnana bestowed upon each of us so early in life: "Eskimos have eleven different words for snow." I recently checked back on the veracity of this claim and, after a bit of research, dug up the eleven words - or more accurately their "lexeme" roots - translated from the Inuit syllabary into our Roman characters. They are as follows:

quanuk - 'snowflake'

kaneq - 'frost'

kanevvluk - 'fine snow/rain particles'

natquik - 'drifting particles'

nevluk - 'clinging particles'

aniu - 'fallen snow on the ground'

muruaneq - 'soft, deep fallen snow on the ground' (skier's powder)

qetrar - 'crust on fallen snow'

qanisqineq - 'fallen snow floating on water'

qengaruk - 'snow bank'

navcaq - 'snow cornice, snow (formation) about to collapse'

------

"The eyes see only what the mind is prepared to comprehend." - Henri Bergson

1 Comments:

Blogger John V said...

Other interesting Eskimo/Snow facts:

Google search of eskimo AND snow has 2,310,000 hits.

Google search of inuit AND snow has 583,000 hits.

Google search of "John Vermylen" has 96 hits. Pretty good, but those damn eskimos are kicking my ass.

I just did about twenty minutes of research trying to find something I had read at some point about the eskimo words for snow being a myth or something like that. I ended up finding a lot of interesting stuff on the subject (though not the original speech or article I think I read), only to find out that there is actually a Wikipedia article called "Eskimo words for snow" - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eskimo_words_for_snow - that contains pretty much all of the relevant facts on the subject, including citations of the important articles. (The main point is that all languages have many words for snow - e.g. "berg", "frost", "glacier", "hail", "ice", "slush", "sleet", etc. in English - making the Eskimo anecdote somewhat far from jnana.)

This is just further proof to me that Wikipedia is one of the Top 5 coolest things to come out of the internet revolution. I had been meaning to blog about Wikipedia and the future of knowledge since we created this site in the fall, I think I may do that soon. (Note: I also think the "Eskimo words for snow" is a pretty bad Wikipedia article - biased, written as if by one person, in general not encyclopedic - but the reason I turn to Wikipedia first whenever I'm searching for information is that there are so many subjects that would never make it in Encyclopedia Britannica but are clearly interesting enough that someone has spent the time to create a page about them.)

12:40 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home